As some of you may know, I gave up Facebook for Lent. I wasn't really sure why, I just decided at the last minute to do it. Honestly, I knew I did not have the will power to give up chocolate or french fries, etc.
It actually has not been that hard. I think giving it up cold turkey is the best thing. I thought about getting a kitchen timer and only allowing myself 5 minutes a day or something like that. Now I realize that a time limit would have been torture. You see, I was addicted. I could not just go on Facebook and browse a little and be happy. I had to see EVERY status update. Throughout the day I would check and just read status updates until I got to one that I had already seen. Addicted.
I'm reading a book about child discipline and the author gave an example of a teenager who was addicted to video games. His parents tried limiting him, but that didn't work. They were really scared to take them away from him for good. Finally they gave in, and while their son was at school one day, they removed all this video games. At first, he was furious and pitched a fit. But, the next day he actually came down for dinner with his family and the next night they went to a movie together. He admitted to his parents that he was actually relieved not to have his games anymore. I think that is how I feel about Facebook. It is a relief to be free of the burden of the status update check!!! :)
I definitely miss seeing pictures of family and friends on a daily basis, but I think most of all I miss the status update. All day long, I think in status update form. Here are some things I would have posted in the last two weeks:
Man, these hawks look like small planes in the sky!
Can't believe my 13 week old already has holes in his socks.
The Well Behaved Child book is hard core, but I think I like it.
Finally met a two year old who might be smarter than Jane Ritchie.
Wondering how long Jane Ritchie's princess dress will last.
Is ready for Spring
Loves Siobhan on American Idol, as weird as she is.
Thinks Tim Urban on American Idol needs a haircut.
is Lost.
Things I do now instead of Facebook:
read
blog
add more blogs to my blog reading list
look at CDH and CHD message boards
laundry
think of ideas, ideas and ideas
I will definitely go back to Facebook in full force after Easter, but I highly recommend a little Facebook Rehab for everyone. It is refreshing!
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I was off facebook for a while and it did feel good. But having been sick for the past couple weeks, my resistance to the lure is down. The thing is very little to nothing i read on there is actually interesting...so much so I am often reading and reading saying facebook is stupid. My friends are boring....but I keep reading sure there is some nugget of awesomeness in there. HA...maybe that is why they are so boring too..all they do is look at facebook.
Post a Comment