Friday, May 30, 2008

Flair and Flailing

Jane Ritchie is obsessed with refrigerator flair (magnets, pictures, etc.). When she wakes up from a nap she wants to point and point and point at all the things on the fridge. It is highly amusing. Hopefully we can catch it on video one day!

Her other new thing is not so cute. Almost every time we try to change her diaper she goes crazy, flailing about, and tries to turn over and eventually starts crying when we try to get her to stay on her back. Any suggestions??? The book says to distract them with a toy, which used to work but no longer does. It also says to distract them with a song, so maybe I'll try that! We're good at making up songs. I'm getting really good at putting diapers on backwards!

3 comments:

Mommy, Esq. said...

Stuart does the same thing except he weighs about 3 times what JR does! I try to hand him something he's never seen before that's right there where I change him...tube of lotion, cotton ball, sharp scissors (kidding). It usually distracts him long enough to keep his hands off of what I'm cleaning up and let's me at least get the diaper on. Ain't it fun?

THE WADE FAMILY said...

OK - I've got a suggestion but you're going to think I'm nuts and a bit "mommy psycho" but here goes. Abby did the same thing for a while there. I was running out of new things for her to keep occupied b/c she'd just throw them over the changing table or behind her head. One day - I know this is gonna sound nuts, just stick with me - I blew air on her bottom. I made really big air noises and exaggerations and she went into a giggling fit. I would make weird blowing faces (like the wolf blowing down the piggies houses) and then shake my head crazy when I was letting the air out. 'course, I'm still about a foot or more away from her actual bottom but the noise and sounds and air coming from me made her giggle enough and occupied enough for me to whip the old diaper away and the new one on. So, try blowing on her bottom - ha! I know it sounds horrible kinky but it worked for us! ;-)

ginger said...

Shug does that sometimes. If I had him a toy he just throws it overboard. But -- if I tickle his ribs and tummy, he stays still so I will keep going!

Locations of visitors to this page